Snake gourd dal curry (Kerala style)

During my childhood, we had snake gourd in the backyard and my mom used to make delicious snake gourd theeyal. I usually use snake gourd for making avial and sambar. One day when I searched for a pumpkin in my fridge to make some pumpkin dal, I did not have any. But I did have snake gourd, and wondered why I could not make a snake gourd dal curry. My first attempt was successful and everyone in my family liked it. This curry is unique, healthy, and easy to prepare.



Ingredients

1cup=250 ml

Organic tur dal, ½ cup
Cleaned and chopped Snake guard, 1 ½ cup or 65 g
Tomato (chopped)*, 1 no. small or 50g
Green chili (slit)**, 3 nos.
Garlic***, 5 cloves
Salt, 1 tsp
Turmeric powder****, ¾ tsp
Kashmiri chili powder, ½ tsp
Grated coconut, ½ cup
Organic whole cumin seeds, ¾ tsp
Water, 1 ½ cup + ½ cup + ½ cup

For seasoning
Coconut oil, 2 tbs
Mustard seeds, ½ tsp
Onion (chopped), 1 no. small
Whole red chili (cut), 1 no. 
Curry leaves, a few

* Here I used Roma tomato

**Adjust to your preference. 

***Here I used small Indian garlic cloves. 

****Turmeric powder has so many health benefits, so only use homemade or organic turmeric powder.

Preparation

  • Wash and soak the dal for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the whiteish skin and seeds from the snake gourd and cut it into 1-inch pieces. 
  • Cook the dal with garlic and green chili in a pressure cooker by adding 1 ½ cups of water over a medium flame, until four whistles blow.
  • Once the pressure releases, open the lid and add the washed snake gourd, and tomato along with half a cup of water.
  • Add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and cook until one whistle blows.


  • Meanwhile, add the coconut and cumin seeds to the blender and grind to a fine paste by adding half a cup of water.
  • Once the pressure releases, open and add the coconut paste.
  • Check salt.
  • Mix well and allow to boil. Remove from heat.
  • Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
  • Once it pops add and onion, whole chili, curry leaves and sauté until the onion turns golden brown.
  • Switch off the flame and add this seasoning to the dal curry. The curry will thicken once cooled.if you wants more loosen add 1/4 cup more water.
Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy with rice or chappati. 
Please comment and share.
Thank you 😊


Comments

Popular Posts